Search This Blog

Thursday, January 27, 2011

Skins.



Every year I see more cases where young adults are involved with either violence, drug complications or reckless acts resulting in various medical dilemmas. 

Newton's third law of motion states that every action has an equal and opposite reactions. This came to my mind as I briefly watched the new show on MTV "Skins". As you may know skin refers to rolling paper (so you can catch the drift), this show is a copy of a British show with the same name.

Los Angeles Times reported this " Nothing more than an R-Rated teen soap minus any truly resonant characters".  Basically the show is all about teens using school as a hang out where they can do drugs, smoke and make fashion statements. Learning is not really a part of schooling as far as this show is concerned. All parents and teachers are imbeciles or out dated and belong to a different world.

My point is this, you are what you grow. I read an interesting article the other day, it was about how your children become what you expect from them. If you have lower expectations they would probably prove you right. However, if you have higher expectations they will likely achieve them. So next time think of them as  Einstein rather than "Jackass".

I guess I am preaching to the choir, I guess we all know that there is a problem, maybe this makes me a boring father, well so be it. The questions is what are we doing about it? What are you doing?

Blog you later.

About the picture:  I like the attentiveness of this child, no matter whatever he is being taught.                         Smithsonian Museum, Washington.






No comments: