Search This Blog

Thursday, August 26, 2010

The Plural Of Anecdote Is Data.



“The plural of anecdote is data” said Raymond Wolfinger. Sometimes it is misquoted as “The plural of anecdote is not data” by Frank Kotsonis. I like the first one better. This quote echoed in my mind after I met with our new ER directors recently, Dr Nunez and Dr Brambhatt. It is good to see young passionate and well trained physicians, who strongly believe in evidence based medicine. In this era of unlimited flow of information, data and studies, it is imperative to be current on emerging studies and literature. To see doctors coming in with that frame of mind is very refreshing.

Embracing new concepts should not be left for academic institutes only. We should continue to entertain new ideas. I find UpToDate as a good resource to answer an assortment of questions I have each week. I remember reading a book by Jackson Brown Jr. “Life’s Little Instruction Book” (Everyone should have this book). He writes “Don't waste time learning the "tricks of the trade", instead learn the trade”.  Knowing all is impossible; at least we should have the ability to identify what and where the tools are to know more.

It will be depressing to see our current team of ER physicians leave in few months. Most of them have provided excellent service for years. I wish them all the best. It was pleasure working with them.



About the Picture: I took this shot outside Museum of Fine Arts, St. Pete, Florida

No comments: